Structure and Function of Organisms
Lab 11: Plant transpiration
1. In which specific type of tissue in a vascular plant water transported? ______________________
2. In which specific type of tissue in a vascular plant are products of photosynthesis transported? _________________________
3. Water exits a plant through the openings in leaves called ___________________________
4. The ?state? that is kept steady in the Steady State Diffusion Porometer is the _________________ ________________ in the cuvette.
5. Pairs of cells surrounding the stoma are known as ________________ __________________.
6. Abscisic acid sensors are located in the __________________ __________________ of plants.
7. The application of abscisic acid simulates __________________-_________________ in plants.
8. Plants use sunlight and ________________ in the process of photosynthesis to produce ___________________ and _____________________.
9. The _____________-________________ theory of water transport in plants states that water moves through the cells of the xylem under negative pressure.
10. When the concentration of carbon dioxide within a leaf increases, guard cells lose ________________ _______________ and stomata close.
11. Guard cells have ____________________ _________________ sensors.
12. The scientific name of the plant used in this laboratory exercise is _______________________ _____________________.
13. Chlorophyll autofluoresces in the _____________________ range when excited with ____________________-___________________ light.
14. On the other hand, lignin autofluoresces in the _____________________ range when excited with ______________________-_______________________ light.
15. _______________________ is a complex strengthening compound found in the secondary wall of certain plant cells.
16. Most plants have a greater abundance of stomata on the _______________________ leaf surface.
17. The first part of the laboratory activity compares the effect of different __________________ levels on the transpiration rate.
18. The second part of the laboratory activity compare the effect of ____________________ or ________________ on the transpiration rate.
19. __________________ and _____________________ exit leaves through the stomata and __________________________enters the leaves through the stomata
20. _____________________ ___________________ will be used to make epidermal leaf impressions.
21. The lab activities will be done on the ________________________ leaves of the bean plants.
22. The control solution for the second lab activity uses a mixture of 1% __________________ mixed with 99% water.
23. In what units will the transpiration rate be measured by the steady state porometer? __________________________________
24. What units will the quantum flux density be measured?
25. Crystal violet stains the middle lamella __________________, stains starch __________________ and stains mucilage __________________.